the Lodge Wood Roman Camp. From near Bryn Glas House. Newport, Mon."
also Cannon found at Pill Mawr and details.
Sketch by William Henry Greene
24 March 1893
From the Scrapbook of William Henry Greene, page 224
© Newport Past
2004. Photographed by arrangement with Torfaen Museum Trust.
This cannon 37½
inches long was, about the year 1849, found by the late Mr Rogers, then
living at Pill Mawr Malpas. It lay by the side of a well, in a wooded
watercourse which runs down the hillside, from opposite Mount Pleasant
Cottage (Mrs Brind's), on the Old Caerleon Road, down to the river Usk
near Pill Mawr (now occupied by Mr Scard). Mr Rogers sold it for 10
shillings to the late Mr Jacob Nicholas, of Malpas Villa; and it remains
in Malpas Villa, in the possession of Jacob's nephew. It seems to have
been abandoned by Royalist or Parliamentary troops, when marching between
Caerleon and Newport. A cannon ball was, some years ago, found by Mr
William Edwards, of Bassaleg, who now, 82 years old, sweeps Tredegar
Park. It was in a rabbit's hole, near the side of the Bassaleg Road,
below Tredegar Park, but on the cemetery side of the road. These things
indicate the route of the troops in the Civil Wars.