Davies Brothers, Slate, Cement, Iron, and General Building Material Merchants, London Wharf, Newport (Mon.). 1893
Source: "The Ports Of The Bristol Channel", 1893
Davies Brothers, Slate, Cement, Iron, and General Building Material Merchants, London and Bangor Wharves, Newport (Mon.). - This very substantial and old-established firm do an extensive trade in slates, cement, iron, and building materials generally. It was originally founded as long ago as the year 1862 (the present partners, John Davies and Sir. Griffith Davies, entering into possession in 1878) at the above wharves, which are situated at opposite sides of Newport Bridge. These premises are very extensive and admirably adapted for the purposes of the trade, the larger being the London Wharf, which was built by the firm about ten years ago. Here there is a capital suite of offices with a spacious warehouse in the rear. The wharves, being on the river, possess exceptional transport facilities, and there are some twenty-five or thirty hands constantly and regularly employed. The firm are sole agents for Messrs. J. B. White & Brothers’ well-known London Portland cement, and they also hold a large stock of bricks, plaster, whiting, slates, chalk, chimneypieces, fire-grates, and builders’ ironmongery of all kinds, such as nails, screws, locks, bolts, window furniture, &c. They also have a branch depot at Barry Dock. Both partners having devoted close attention at all times to the details of their affairs, enjoy the confidence and esteem of a very large and influential connection throughout Monmouth and the South of Wales, while they are personally much looked up to and very popular with all who have the advantage of their private friendship or acquaintance.
NEWPORT PAST: [ Prints Index ] [ Gallery ] [ Home ]