After the king (Henry II) had gone from Cardiff as far as
Castell Newyd ar Uysc (Newport - literally 'Newcastle
upon Usk' in Welsh), he sent to require Iorwerth, son of
Owain (Iorwerth was lord of Caerleon), to come to an interview
with him, and to discourse about peace, giving a safe conduct
to himself and to his sons. And as Owain, son of Iorwerth,
a finely grown and amiable young man, was preparing, by
the advice of his father, and liege men, to accompany his
father to the court of the king, a man of the earl of Bristol
met him upon the road coming from Cardiff, and killed him.
And when he was killed, then his father, with his brother
Howel, and many others, not trusting on that account to
the king, destroyed by every means the territory of the
king, as far as Hereford and Gloucester, by killing and
burning and laying waste, without mercy.
Y Tywysogion or The Chronicle of the Princes of Wales
Edited and translated by the Rev. John Williams Ab Ithel
1860. page 219.
Et in emendatione castelli Novi Burgi et domorum et pontium,
et ad defensionem maris . vj. L. et . xiiij s . et xd.
(And for repairs to the castle of New Borough (Newport)
and its buildings and bridge, and to defences from the sea
6 pounds 14 shillings and 10 pence)
Roll (i.e. annual audited accounts of the king) 31
Henry II Volume 34 page 6.
Notification by William, bishop of Landav, to archdeacons,
deans, parsons, vicars, and the faithful of Holy Church
in the bishopric of Landav, that William de Bendengis, keeper
of the castle of Newport, in contempt of the mother church
of Newport, to which the chapel of the castle, from its
foundation, was accustomed to owe its service, has caused
the chapel to be disserved by its proper chaplain, the monks
of Gloucester (who held St Woolos Church) reclaiming, and
Helias, the dean, who in their name possesses the church
of Newport, complains that this was done in prejudice of
the mother church of Newport.
The monks have since often sought justice from the bishop
and have also brought letters from B(aldwin), archbishop
of Canterbury, to show justice to them. At length, being
certified by the assertion and testimony of faithful men
of the right of the monks, the bishop has returned the chapel
solemnly, in chapter at Struguill (Chepstow),to the hand
of Thomas, abbot of Gloucester, freely and quit, in the
bishop's presence, saving the service, which the mother
church was accustomed to do in the said chapel, in the time
of his predecessors, constables.
by James Conway Davies Episcopal Acts Relating to Welsh
Dioceses 1066-1272 Vol. II. page 670.
Published in Latin by W.H. Hart Historia et Cartilarium
Monasterii S. Petri Gloucestriæ 1863. Vol. II.
No. DIII, pages 48-49
Et in operatione trium castellorum . scilicet Caerdif
. Nofburo . et Neth lviij li, et xviij s. et vj d.
(And for work on three castles called Cardiff, Newport and
Neath 58 pounds 18 shillings and 6 pence) At this time the
castle would have been in Royal hands.
Roll (audited accounts of the king) 6 John (Volume
22 page 221)
Simon de Montfort again besieged, took, and levelled the
castle of Monmouth which the earl of Gloucester had lately
got into his power. Then the king (Henry III) and he directing
their steps to the inner part of Wales towards Glamorgan
so that they might cross over to Bristol in hired ships
from Newport situated at the mouth of the river Usk
on Severn sea, the said earl (de Montfort) devastated the
land on the aforesaid bank and beyond with sword and fire,
namely with the troops of Llewelyn, having gained auxiliary
forces, he spared neither women or children but both in
churches and outside cruelly tortured them and took them
Bradney A History of Monmouthshire Volume5 The Hundred
of Newport. (edited by Madeleine Gray) 1993. page 23.
Refers to Rev. H.R. Laud (editor) Flores Historiarum,
per Matthaeum Westmonasteriensem collecti (Rerum Britannicarum
Medii Aevi Scriptoresno 95. 1890) III, 3.
Fourteen shillings spent on the repair of the castle roof
Reeves Newport Lordship 1317-1536 1979. page 139
National Archive S.C.6/1202/9, m. 11.
Newport Castle and town (then in the hands of High Despenser)
fell to Hugh Audley, Roger Damory, Roger Mortimer and his
son, Humphrey de Bohan, earl of Hereford, and other lords,
after a siege of 4 days.
Reeves in Newport Lordship, 1317-1536. 1979. pages
18-19. and subsequent pages for following un-attributed
By the king at Westminster.
To Hugh Daudele (Audley), the younger, concerning the castle
and town of Neuport, with the county and land of Wenthelok
and the land of Maghay, which belonged to Hugh le Despenser,
the younger, together with Hugh's goods and chattels there,
to be delivered to Adam de Brom, king's clerk.
of Close Rolls. 15 Edward II. (Volume 1318-1323) page
1321 November 28
By the king at Broken bridge on the Thames.
To Hugh Daudele, the younger. Order to deliver to Master
John Walewayn, the escheator this side Trent, the castle
and town of Neuport, with the county and land of Wenthelok
and the land of Maghaghay, together with the goods and chattels
of the aforesaid Hugh le Despenser, the younger, the said
Hugh Daudele having written, in reply to the king's previous
order to deliver the above to Adam de Brom, that he has
no lands of Hugh le Despenser, the younger, in his custody,
but that he holds the castle and lands above specified as
the inheritance and purparty of Margaret his wife, which
fell to her in Wales of the lands of Gilbert de Clare, late
earl of Gloucester, her brother, for which reason nothing
was delivered to Adam ; which answer the king reputes as
naught, especially as the said Hugh le Despenser was seised
of the castle and lands aforesaid when the aforesaid Hugh
Daudele and others began to prosecute him.
Mandate in pursuance to the escheator.
of Close Rolls 15 Edward II (Volume 1318-1323) page
Defeat of Hugh Audley and other barons at the Battle of
Boroughbridge. Despenser re-acquired lands including Newport
Lordship, including Newport Castle..
By the king at York.
To the keeper of the park of Kaerlion and the chace of Usk.
Order to cause the constable of the castle of Neuport to
have 300 oaks fit for timber in the park and chace (chase)
aforesaid, to repair and construct the houses and fortalices
within the said castle.
of Close Rolls 15 Edward II (Volume 1318-1323 page 440).
Order to the justices of the Bench to annul a judgement
against Hugh Despenser the Elder and Hugh Despenser the
Younger, with judgement
the earl of Hereford, Sir Roger de Mortimer,
the nephew, Sir Roger de Mortimer, the uncle, Sir Roger
Damory, Sir John de Moubray, Sir Hugh Daudele, the father,
Sir Hugh Daudele, the son,
. and many others allied
themselves together by oath and writings to pursue and destroy
the said Hugh le Despenser, and upon this their accord they
all came with their retinues on Wednesday after the Invention
of the Holy Cross (Easter), in the 14th year of the king's
reign (1321), to Neuport in Wales in force and arms,
to wit with eight hundred men-at-arms, with the king's banner
of his arms displayed, and with five hundred hobelers (light
horsemen), and 10,000 footmen, in order to destroy them,
and with the same power and force they besieged his towns
and castles, and took them by force, and slew part of his
. and took and carried away the goods and chattels
of the said Hugh, the son, found in the said towns and castles
. The names of the castles thus taken and destroyed
are: Neuport, Kaerdif, Kerfilli, Lantrissane, Talvan,
Lamblethian, Kenefeg, Neoth, Drusselan, and Dinevor. And
during the same time they wasted all his manors there
and burnt some of his barns there at Neuport and
of Close Rolls 15 Edward II (Volume 1318-1323 pages
Edward II deposed and Hugh Despenser executed. Audley re-acquired
Order to Hugh de Audele or his steward for 100 men from
his land at Newport to be brought to the king at Newcastle-upon-Tyne,
at the king's wages, to be there a month after Easter next,
to set out ultimately with the king against the Scots, who
have invaded the kingdom.
of Close Rolls 7 Edward III (Volume 1333-1337 page 26)
Death of Hugh Audley. The Lordship of Newport passed to
Ralph, first earl of Stafford.
Death of Ralph Stafford. The lordship passed to his son
The Borough of Newport granted its first charter by Hugh
Stafford, second earl of Stafford.
Death of Hugh Stafford at Rhodes. He was succeeded by his
grandson Thomas, third earl of Stafford, who was still a
minor. During the minority the Stafford lands were committed
to Thomas Beauchamp, earl of Warwick, and others.
Thomas Stafford rendered homage for his inheritance
Death of Thomas Stafford, leaving his inheritance to his
younger brother, William, who customarily regarded as the
fourth earl of Stafford. He was a minor and his lands were
farmed (i.e. controlled during the minority) by Thomas Woodstock,
duke of Gloucester.
1393 August 28
Estates of Thomas earl of Stafford. Taken at Newport.
Newport. The castle and town, and the lordship of the commote
of Wenllok with its members to wit, Stowe, Rempny, Dyveles,
Penkarn, and Deffren Ebboth, together with the manor, lordship
and forest of Maghan annexed to the said lordship.
The extents include 13l. 16 s. 3d. rent of assize of the
free borough in the said town, issues of the borough there
worth 10 l. yearly, a fishery of Uske, pleas etc. of the
hundred there, and of the commote of Wenllok, and lands,
rents, services and courts in the aforesaid members of the
He died on 4 July last , William his brother is heir aged
14years on the morrow of St Matthew last.
of Inquisitions Post Mortem (Volume XVIII. 15-23 Richard
Visit of Richard II to Newport.
Death of William Stafford. Succeeded by his brother Edmund,
fifth earl of Stafford.
Edmund petitioned the king for livery of his inheritance,
being then 21 years old.
Edmund, earl of Stafford, killed at the Battle of Shrewsbury.
His son Humphrey, sixth earl of Stafford, not one year old.
Newport Lordship granted to Humphrey's mother Anne, which
she farmed to Edward, duke of York until 1415.
The mayor of Bristol ordered to ship large quantities of
wheat and oats, wine and ale, and over a thousands fishes
called hake, to Cardiff and Newport, for the men of arms
and archers there.
Writs issued by Henry IV ordering owners of twenty-two Welsh
castles, including Newport, to look to their furnishing
and guard with men, victuals, armour artillery and all other
The Monmouthshire Antiquary VII (1991) page 23, Article
by Jeremy Knight on Newport Castle.
Ref. Calendar of Patent Rolls Henry IV, 1401-1405
pages 296 - 297.
Also Calendar of Close Rolls Henry IV Pt. III. (lists
GLOUCESTER AND THE ADJACENT MARCH OF WALES. Inquisition.
In the dower of Anne his wife from the lands of Thomas late
earl of Stafford
. In his demesne as of fee of the
king in chief, service unknown, he held the castle and vil
of Newport and the lordship of the county of Wenllwch, with
its members in Stow, Rhymney, Dowlais, Pencarn, Dyffryn
and Ebbw, with the manor, lordship and forest of Machen
annexed to the lordship of Wenllwch, which was worth yearly
before the insurrection of Owen de Glyndourdy £215
17s., but now nothing because all burnt, destroyed, wasted
and made nought by Owen and other rebels in his company.
of Inquisitions Post Mortem Vol.XVIII 1-6 Henry IV (1399-1405)
Emergency repairs carried out to the Castle, Sir Gilbert
Denys 'then the captain there' being in charge of the work.
The work in the first week (before Easter) involved 36 masons,
24 carpenters,8 sawyers, with 48 labourers assisting the
masons, cleaning the castle ditch and clearing it of bushes.
After Easter work continued with fewer men, some working
on a 'Garret' or projecting wooden structure to the rear
of the gatehouse.
May 8th more workers taken on to clean out the castle ditch
and clear it of bushes 'on account of rumours of the rebels
reaching the Captain'.
By mid June carpenters were preparing timber 'for the Great
Tower'. Work continued until late September.
Knight, J. (1991) page 24.
Ref: National Archives (E) 101, 487/15; (E) 136, 80/3 of
1403-05.; SC6, 924/18
Humphrey, earl of Stafford, granted livery of inheritance
1427 April 3rd
Charter of Humphrey Earl of Stafford for the Burgesses of
Newport in Wales
Witnesses:- John Greseley, knight, Robert Strilley knight,
William Thomas, knight, John Merbury, Hugh Erdeswyk, Robert
Greindour, John Russell, William Burley, Thomas the Arblaster,
John Bedulf, John Harpur and others.
Given at our castle of Newport the third day of April in
the fifth year of the reign of King Henry the Sixth after
the Conquest 
Rees, W. The Charters of the Borough of Newport in Gwynllwg
(1951) (translated from the original charter in Newport
Work under way on the South Tower, next to the bridge. (Majoris
Turris Iuxta Pontem). Stone from Dundry Hill outside
Bristol transported by boat to Newport.
Knight J. (1991) page 25.
Ref: Glamorgan County Record Office D/DC. M/45.
Humphrey. sixth earl of Stafford, created first duke of
Account of William Kemeys, Receiver of the Lordship of Newport,
from Michaelmas, 1447 to Michaelmas, 1448.
Woodwork in the castle-chambers repaired, and minor repairs
to the castle buildings and to the long stable outside it.
66l.12s. 0½d. was spent on a new withdrawing room
(camera retracta) next to the Chapel Tower.
Stone from Dundry Hill was transported from Bristol, stone
called 'Lyas' shipped from Penarth, and 'walstone' (stone
rubble for wall building) was quarried at Stow, next to
Newport. The stone brought by sea was landed at the south
end of the Shirehall.
One hundred small oaks were bought from Kirkelleyth
(Llanhilleth, west of Pontypool).
Timber for scaffolding was cut at Henlles (Henllys)
within the lordship.
18,000 Cornish slates (tegulus vocator Cornysshtile)
were bought and two dozen pottery ridge tiles from Cardiff
to le Synderhull near Newport Castle.
The north wall of the castle was raised in height by 3 feet
with wall stone from Stow and 89 pieces of rag stone from
Dundry 'for the battlement of the said wall'
published in Latin by Pugh T.B. 'The Marcher Lordships
of South Wales 1415 - 1536 Select Documents' (1963)
pages 227 - 232
Summarised in Knight J. (1991) page 26.
National Archives: Ministers accounts, with other manors
in the lordship
(Published in Pugh T.B. (1963). as S.C.6. 924/23, m.10)
of the Accounts of William Kemeys, Receiver of the Lordship
of Newport, from Michaelmas,1447 to Michaelmas 1448
And in costes done upon the withdraght chamber annexed to
the chapel tour, £86 17s 3½d.
And in costes done uppon the performing upon th'enhaunsyng
of the wall of the north side of the sede castell by 6 fote
standerde higher than hit was before, as hit appereth by
the seyd accompt, £20 9s3d.
And in divers small reparaciones done in dyvers places within
the castell, as hit appereth by the seyd accompt, 33s. 3d.
And in divers costes of th'eschekyr there, 18d.
T.B. 'The Marcher Lordships of South Wales 1415 - 1536
Select Documents' (1963) page 233
Lord Stafford's MSS. No. 1217, M.2.
Main building operations were complete. Repairs being made
to the long stable outside the castle gate and to the palings
of the castle ditch, and maintenance work on the woodwork.
Ref. Account roll National Archives SC 6, 924/24
The Castle underwent a good cleaning at a cost of 2l. 15s.6½d.
in preparation of a visit by Humphrey Stafford (created
duke of Buckingham in 1444). The stable outside the castle
walls was also cleaned and stocked with food for the lord's
A.C. 'Newport Lordship 1317 -1536' (1979) page 141.
Death of Humphrey Stafford, first duke of Buckingham at
the battle of Northampton. His heir was his grandson, Henry
Stafford, second duke of Buckingham, who was a minor at
Grant to William Harbart (Herbert), knight, during the minority
of Henry, son of Humphrey, late earl of Stafford, son and
heir of Humphrey, late duke of Buckingham, and so from heir
to heir during the minority, of the custody of the castle,
town and lordships of Newport, Coboy, Wenlloit and Meredith
in South Wales, rendering 100l. yearly to the king.
of Patent Rolls I Edward IV. page 13
Ministers' accounts (Newport and Wentloog lordship) survive
Gwent Record Office MAN/B/90/0004
. to seize all castles, lordships, manors,
lands and possessions late of George, duke of Clarence,
Richard, earl of Warwick etc. and their goods and chattels
appointment as receiver
.. Roger Vaughan,
knight, in the parts of South Wales. Vacated.
of Patent Rolls 10 Edward IV pages 218-219
1471 February 21
Commitment to Richard earl of Warwick and Salisbury, - by
mainprise, found in the Exchequer, of Richard Middleton
of Middleton, co. Westmorland, 'gentilman' and William Grene
of Bressyngham [recte Gressynham] co. Lancaster, 'gentilman'
of the keeping of the castle and lordship of Newport, with
their members and appurtances, in South Wales, which are
in the king's hand by the death of Humphrey, late duke of
Buckingham and by reason of the minority of Henry his kinsman
and heir, to hold from Michaelmas last for as long as the
premises shall remain in the king's hands, at a yearly farm
of as much as may be agreed upon between him and the treasurer
by Michaelmas next; with clause touching maintenance of
houses, enclosures and buildings, and support of charges
and with proviso for the increase of the farm.
of Fine Rolls 49 Henry VI page 295 ( Readeption of Henry
Licence for the king's kinsman Henry duke of Buckingham,
kinsman and heir of Humphrey, late duke of Buckingham, tenant
in chief, viz. son of his son Humphrey, to enter freely
after Michaelmas last, without proof of age or other formality,
into all castles, towns, lordships, cantreds, commotes,
manors, lands, fee farms, annuities, reversions, rents,
services, hundreds, offices, fees, views of frank-pledge,
courts leet, sheriffs turns, liberties, franchises, fairs,
markets, jurisdictions, knights' fees, advowsons and other
possessions in England, Wales, the marches of Wales and
the town of Calais of which the late duke was seized and
which should descend to him.
By the King at Westminster.
of Patent Rolls 12 Edward IV page 367
and execution of Henry, second duke of Buckingham
1484 January 7th
Grant for life to William Kemes of an annuity of 10 marks
from the issues of the king's lordship of Newport in South
of Patent Rolls 1 Richard III page 414
Grant for life to the king's servant Thomas Bawdrip, one
of the esquires of the body, of the office of constable
of the castle of Newport in Wales, with wages of 5 marks
yearly from the issues of the castle, and an annuity of
50 marks from the same for his fee as esquire of the body.
By privy seal.
of Patent Rolls 1 Richard III page 380
Grant for life to the king's servant Thomas ap John, one
of the yeomen of the king's chamber, of the office of porter
of the castle of Newport in South Wales with custody of
the warren of rabbits there, lately pertaining to Henry,
late duke of Buckingham, and in the king's hands by reason
of his rebellion, with wages of 4d. daily from issues of
the lordship of Newport and all other profits.
By privy seal.
of Patent Rolls 1 Richard III page 405 and page 410
Grant to Nicholas Spicer, one of the esquires of the body,
of the office of receiver of the lordships of Brekenoke,
Neweport, Uske and Carlion in South Wales with fees of 20
of Patent Rolls 1 Richard III page 437
Grant to James Tirell sheriff of the king's lordship of
Wenllouk, and steward of the king's lordship of Newport,
of Patent Rolls 2 Richard III page 474
Appointment of William Mistelbroke and Richard Lusshe as
auditors of castle and lordship of Newport
of Patent Rolls 2 Richard III
Ministers' accounts survive.
National Library of Wales Tredegar MSS & Documents vol
I p7 147
Execution of Edward, third duke of Buckingham
Extracted from: Value and State of the possessions of the
late Duke of Buckingham.
borough of the town of Newport. Wales, with the whole lordship,
adjoining the King's great lordships of Cardeiff, Uske and
Carlion, is in value 18l. 10s. 5½p. It has a goodly
haven, "well occupied, with small crayes (i), whereunto
a very great ship may resort." "Upon the same
haven is a proper castle and three towers, adjoining just
to the water ; the middlest tower having a vault or entry
to receive into the said castle a good vessel. In the said
castle is a fair hall, proper lodgings after the waterside,
and many houses of offices ; howbeit, in manner, all is
decayed in covering and floors, specially of timber work.
There is great plenty of free stone and rough stone lying
within the castle, for repareling (ii) of the same."
"Over the castle is the chequier chamber (iii), and
under the same is the porter's lodge and prison for punishment
and safe keeping of offenders and transgressors ; which
houses of necessity must be maintained and well upholden."
List of lordships, knight's fees, and advowsons (iv). The
stewardship was lately occupied by the earl of Wiltshire,
during pleasure, at 13l. 6s. 8d. ; "and for the exercising
of the same room John Morgan, the King's servant, being
a substantial young man of an 100l. lands, and Thomas Morgan,
his uncle, being a sad gentleman, and also of good substance,
be deputed lieutenants for the well ordering of the country."
Without the help of any commissioner they have put the lordship
in good order, and the country is "best content to
be at their leading." The said Thomas formerly held
the office of lieutenant under the said earl, receiving
yearly 6l. 13s. 4d. He has been deputed also to continue
in his office of receiver ; and he is commonly "charged
every year with the receipt of the sum of 600 or 700 marks
(v), there is assigned further unto him, as was afore, the
office of constableship of the castle, if so it please the
King's grace, at 56s. 8d." The portership of the castle
is also assigned to him (2d. a day), till the King's pleasure
be known. The mayor, coroner and beadle of the town, without
fees, are "chosen by election". The office of
approver (vi), being a special office, for the King's profit
necessary to be occupied by one resident in the lordship,
for the praising all distresses and cattle brought in for
payment of rent, at 2d.per diem. "Wards in Wenllouge
: "-Thomas Lewes, in the custody of Edmund Vanne, having
lands worth 20l. ; John Ap Morgan in the custody of John
Hontelay, esceator, having lands worth 9l (vii).
Number of the manorhood 532.
The 1867 published version of the original document gives
a translation of 'crayes' as 'creeks'. However a 'cray'
is traditionally a small trading vessel used in the Severn.
(ii) Literally 're-paling' but probably meaning 'repairing'.
(iii) The chamber devoted to business.
(iv) Right of patronage of church livings.
(v) A denomination of gold, usually regarded
as equivalent to 8 ounces.
(vi) In this sense the approver was the officer
who acted as a steward or bailiff.
(vii) Refers to lands where ownership has lapsed
and is now held on behalf the King.
and Papers, Foreign and Domestic of Henry VIII (1519-23)
Vol.III part 1. page 507.
Ownership in the hands of Henry VIII until his death in
1547 - then granted to William Herbert (created first earl
of Pembroke in 1551).
Tenentes per indenture (Tenants by indenture [i.e.
by deed] )
(Maltilda Hayle widow holds
1 parcel of enclosed
vacant land, 2½ burgages adjacent to the fosse [i.e.
ditch or moat] of the castle of the lord in the same place,
with 2 parcels of the said fosse by the boundary stones(?)
and boundaries, by ancient usage and custom
for a rent and repairing the fosse etc. 2 shillings 6 pennies.
Survey of the Rents of the earl of Pembroke 12 Elizabeth
Library of Wales Ms. 17008D.
See: Sir Joseph Bradney (edited by Madeleine Gray) A
History of Monmouthshire Volume 5. The Hundred of Newport.
1993. pages 32 - 35
The castle leased to Sir William Herbert of St Julian's
near Newport on condition that he kept it in good repair.
The castle leased by Thomas Morgan of Ruperra
Engraving - The East View of Newport Castle, in the County
of Monmouth (Proprietor John Burgh Esq.) S & N Buck.
Also shows an arch or gate over the west end of the bridge
to the south of the castle, and possibly the mill to the
north of the castle.
The western ditch used for part of the Monmouthshire canal
and the remaining ditch filled with spoil.
The shell of the castle stands near the bridge, on the right
bank of the Usk; it is a massive structure, but of small
dimensions and simple form. The figure is nearly right-parallelogram;
it is built of rubble, but coigned with hewn stones.
In the middle of the side towards the water is a square
tower, which seems to have been the keep or citadel, flanked
with small turrets, and containing the remains of a spacious
apartment called the state room, with a vaulted stone roof.
Underneath is a sally-port leading to the river, with a
beautiful gothic arch, once defended by a portcullis, the
groove of which is still visible. At each extremity of this
side are octagon towers, one of which, though much mutilated,
is in-habited. To the left of the middle tower are the remains
of the baronial hall, with a large fire-place; the windows
are of the gothic species, and richly decorated. Evident
vestiges of numerous apartments are seen in the area, and
several chimneys appear in the side walls
The castle was undoubtedly strengthened with a deep moat,
which has been recently filled the earth from the excavation
of the canal, and by strong walls on the side of the town.
There is likewise a considerable plot of ground, formerly
called the Castle Green, but now converted into wharfs,
which appears to have been joined to the fortress by means
of a drawbridge.
Coxe. 'An Historical Tour of Monmouthshire' 1801.
Vol.I. page 49.
A brewery established in the castle buildings.
1845 September 27th
"Amongst the coins discovered here (Newport Castle)
are those of the Henries, and several base coins of the
age of Constantine, but too corroded to decypher.
In the castle precinct was excavated in 1834, a gold coin
of Edward the 3rd, about the size of a half-acrown ; weight
117½ grains, Troy.
Townsend in a note on Antiquarian Researches. Monmouth
Merlin and South Wales Advertiser 27 September 1845
The walls of the Castle were surrounded by a wide deep moat,
which every high tide must have supplied, and must have
been crossed by drawbridges. The principle entrance appears
to have been on the south side. If a gate were here it has
been entirely removed with the wall
The only other remaining portion of the wall is a part of
the north wall, where are several fireplaces, showing that
there was arrange of buildings two stories in height against
that portion of the wall.
The north gate
all traces of it have long been removed,
and the only record of it is the remembrance that some one
who once dwelt in the Castle claimed a right of way at that
The kitchen-offices (of Newport Castle) were most probably
situated near the apartments of the lord, and below them,
and near the south tower; but all traces of them have long
been removed. About twenty or thirty years ago there was
a prodigious oven discovered there, 12feet in diameter,
about 3 feet high in the middle, and 18 inches at the sides
; the wall of the vaulted roof was18 inches thick ; and
the floor was of very thick concrete. It appears to have
been new, and not much used.
Morgan History and Description of Newport Castle
Archaeologia Cambrensis 1885 page 276.
The South Tower acquired by Newport Corporation.
The rest of the castle purchased by Lord Tredegar.
The ruins placed in care of the Office of Works.
The South Tower added to the area in guardianship.
The remains of the brewery cleared away and the medieval
masonry made safe.
The area behind the surviving castle was destroyed by road
widening. The junction of the north curtain wall, north
gate and north tower was noticed during construction work.
A garderobe pit near the north tower contained 15th or early
16th century pottery some six handled cups of Surrey White
('Tudor Green') ware, an associated brown ware cup and a
quantity of blue roofing slate of Cornish origin.
K. Knight Newport Castle in The Monmouthshire
Antiquary VII 1991. page 34.
Bob Trett 2007